|We bought the key holder at a craft fair at Maryhill Museum. I made the board from a piece of maple.|
I also laid out the new fence going through the back barn lot. This will let the animals get to the front creek from the ram pasture. The ultimate goal is to get every pasture access to the front creek. The creek is 40 degrees year round, it never freezes and comes out of the ground about 100 yards above the house. I don't want to have to carry water or fill containers. I started driving metal posts into the ground. September, after no rain for two months is not the best time to fence. I had to hit each post about 100 times. There is one section of the fence where the cliff face is right near the surface of the ground. I tried and tried to get a post into the ground. No luck. There are three posts that I have in the ground but they need another four inches of help. I am going to have to have a second person on the post hole driver with me to get that last four inches.
Thankfully, when I put the seven post in the back barn lot it was pure dirt! Smooth as butter, I could have done 100 posts that way without even breaking a sweat. I need to get the outer fence up and functioning before I tear out the inner fence to reposition it. No escaping animals is the goal. If I get this all done in time I may even be able to replant a couple of the pastures so they snap back in the spring. I have 50# of pasture seed in the pickup.
After fencing was completed ( I got tired, arms felt like lead) I came back to the house and worked on sanding a piece of maple for the key holder. I finished it after dinner and applied linseed oil. It is drying in the laundry room. I still need to get two copper screws to attach it to the board. It turned out nice, Annmarie didn't want to just hang the key holder on the wall because the keys would scratch it up. So she wanted an oval shaped piece of wood to go behind the holder. It passed the muster.
I never did get out and change the light bulb in the chicken coop, another day soon hopefully.