A blog about our life on the family farm. Lots of animals, chickens, hair sheep, dexter cows, horses, border collies, alpaca. Read about how the farm life is tackled by a full time working couple.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
It took me all day, but I got the backsplash completed. I read the directions on the grout and they wanted me to mix the entire box. I did not want that so I had to add half the water and about half the grout and mix. I had to add more grout four times. I should have stopped at three. My consistency was not peanut butter, it was more like near frozen lard. I had to work and work to get it into the spaces. Lots of back and forth and pressure. It did not want to come off with a sponge. It took me over five hours to get it all done. I had taped and covered the countertop with plastic so I would not get water on those tiles for the required 72 hours. I am hoping to set the sink on Thursday. I will be able to get all the drain plumbing parts once I set the sink. I may be able to reuse what I have by just hacksawing out about three inches of piping. Hard to say without the sink being permanently installed so I can take actual measurements. We have just about decided our cupboard paint colors. You can see the paint swatch on taped to tiles in the above picture. The second color from the top is the upper cabinet and room color and the second color from the bottom is going to be the lower cabinet colors with a white ceiling. We are still debating the white ceiling, Annmarie wants the ceiling color to be the top swatch color. Something to get the light to reflect off the ceiling to lighten the room. The worst part of painting is I have to disassemble my kitchen book shelves so we can paint behind them. We ordered our outlet covers yesterday online. Some brass design for all the outlets and switches in the entire kitchen. Luckily there were only ten covers to buy.
Other backsplash grouted.
Dwindling hay supply.
Zeke and I went out to feed tonight, our hay is running low so I called about picking up another 2 ton. I had to leave a message, but hopefully tomorrow I can get that hay to the farm and out for the animals. This should not be an issue this year with all the extra hay bottoms in production. As we replant the bottoms in new pasture grass I think that will help our foraging needs greatly. I had to get eggs again today. The broody hen had to be tossed out of the same nest box. She was still not sitting on any eggs! I am not sure what she thinks she is doing. I collected this huge green egg, mammoth in size. It was guaranteed to fill me up for breakfast. I took them inside and had them sitting on the washing machine, just hanging out while I got a dozen carton down from the shelf. I opened the carton and started to put eggs into it. I dropped the huge egg onto another egg and it suicide onto the tile floor! There was raw egg everywhere. Another egg down. I got it all cleaned up and lamented another broken egg.