It was supposed to be Spray Day! I need to spray the upper prime field with 2-4-D and the driveway with Round Up but the rain kept coming. In an effort to get something done outside I decided that burning in the rain was a great idea. My biggest problem with fire seems to be that it burns things up and likes to spread. Rain is great for that problem. I have been attempting to plan my burning times to coincide with very wet spells. This was the plan. I knew I was getting low on propane in the 20 gallon burn tank but I figured there was enough to get my fire on. First thing was appropriate fire attire. After the fiasco with synthetic clothing burning me, secondary to accidentally lighting myself on fire, I vowed to wear only natural fibers. I put on blue jeans, a cotton T-shirt, tall leather boots with wool socks and a wool long sleeve shirt. I tied a cotton kerchief around my neck as the fire can get pretty hot and a cotton ball cap. I emptied my pockets of everything but chapstick and a knife. No pesky plastic watch or wallet. Second thing was to locate a fire lighting stick somewhere in the house. I never found one, so I extended the search to the old house and found two hanging from a nail. They don't last, I put them in my back pocket and after about the third time jumping into the tractor seat they break in half. I have yet to run out of fuel in a single starter. Armed with flame I headed out to the machine shop to load the propane tank into the bucket on the tractor. I got the tank onto the bucket, then lifted the bucket enough to use a chain and attach the tank from the top, bottom and sides so that no matter what I did the tank would not fall out of the bucket (I have still not beat the dent out of my hood from the first tank fall). I then wrapped the hose around the tank in preparation for heading out to burn, and that was when I discovered that the nozzle on my torch had been stepped on by something, most likely a cow and was broken. I needed a new one. I jumped into the car and sped into Pendleton to BUY so I could BURN. I had to ask at D and B for assistance and when he took me over to the torch section the only thing was the dinky little ice melter torches and a 6 foot Fire wand for $200. I explained that I wanted the three foot wand for $100. We found the open spot on the wall and the computer was consulted. The computer stated they had one in the back, there was one hidden in the back and I grabbed it and headed out to pay. The checker rung me all up and I reached for my wallet, my nonexistent wallet. I had to ask her to put it to the side so I could run home and get my wallet. Another round trip and I was back with my debit card and on my way with a new torch. This entire process cut off 2 hours of burn time.
|Corner property getting cleaned up.|
|It did die down eventually|
I had to get new (used) tires for the pickup after an oil change discovery by the child. I knew I needed new tires last year but was putting it off. So when they changed the tires I asked her to find out if there was an exhaust leak. Yep, big exhaust leak. They also said I needed new shocks (told me that last year also), so I had her order new shocks. I drove said pickup home Friday evening and got out smelling gasoline. I figured it was the exhaust leak and looked under the pickup. Nope, gas leaking all over the ground, I have a fuel leak. So tomorrow I will call the repair shop and have them fix the fuel leak and the lack of turn signals (over one year broken), then we can get the new shocks installed. Once the shocks are on I will get the exhaust repaired/replaced. I am hoping to just get a couple of sections cut out and replaced. The stereo is not working at all now but truly it is nonessential. It looks like the pickup will be getting the necessary upgrades this year.
|Walk in closet nearing completion. Clothing being added.|