|Two smallest victims|
I needed a five minute break to apply the boy tag to my ear pliers and a double set of rubber bands to the banderator, I was ready! I was making some short work of this task, almost like I knew what I was doing. It was a short lived feeling. I caught the boy calf (the bigger of the two) and set him on his butt, while reaching for the ear tag I ended up draped over his body while he ran around the pen. I only went about eight feet before I slipped off. I caught him one more time and could not hold him down while attempting to use any set of pliers to do anything! I simply do not weigh enough to just pin him down to the ground. I stepped back and decided that I needed a third hand. So I went into the barn and got an old 1 inch lead cloth strap for a horse and proceeded to catch the calf again and again. On the third try I got him down and got the lead knotted around all THREE feet and kept him on his side. I was able to tag his ear and after playing pop the weasel, got both testicles inside the rubber band before letting the tension go. Start to finish it only took me 15 minutes to get both calves completed. I will not be setting any records but I did get it done! I sorted off the two oldest calves and their mothers and placed them in the upper prime field with our two steers. We don't want the bull to get at the female calves and they are already 4 months old.
I spent the rest of the day working on the irrigation pipe. I got new valves and sprinklers installed. I put in some new gaskets. I have a mud plug in the last five sticks on the run. I am trying to blow it out but the last four stem pipes don't have valves and are blowing water everywhere. I have two really leaky joints that need new gaskets and there is a leak in the flexible hose coming off the irrigation pump. The hose is cracked near the end so it looks like I can cut off a foot and reapply the connector and be good to go.