|New gate in progress|
I had to go get the tractor and Julian brought the gate. The gate was quite a bit smaller than the opening so we just used the cow panel to create another rock crib. This does multiple things for us. One it makes the gate usable, two it stabilizes the wooden rock crib which is starting to twist from the pressure of the fences attached, and three it gives us a place to toss all the large rocks. We picked up rocks from the adjacent field and an old rotted rock crib. The first three rocks were almost 800 lbs each. The tractor could barely lift them. The first one went over fine, the second one I almost tipped the tractor over on its side, Julian had to stand on the tractor and hang away from the tire to provide enough counter balance to let me lift the rock over the fence, the third one was so wide and deep that the only way to stop the tractor from tipping over was to dump it out. I left the third rock, it was just too dangerous to move. We moved six buckets worth of rocks over to our rock crib then had to lift them with the bucket again and drop them in. It did not go near as far as I would have liked. Over two ton of rocks and it looks like a drop in the bucket.
|New gate up, still need to finish filling the rock crib. The bull is proving to be a formidable opponent.|
|Wheat kernels look a little small, harvest soon will see|
We looked at the wheat on our way to inspect the gate tonight and found that the kernels next to the road appear to be very small. They should be harvesting soon so it will be interesting to see what the yields really are. Our upper hay field has been cut so pretty soon I am going to have to start moving hay. I never did buy that hay elevator, so it will have to be moved up onto the hay stack with pure manpower. I really need to get one for next year.
I keep saying my farming crisis are finished for the year but I keep being wrong. I suspect there is a pattern here I just need to figure it out.