Monday, October 17, 2011

Hay is arriving

I started the morning by driving into town to get a new battery for the pickup.  The hope was a new battery would fix everything with the pickup so I could use the pickup to start the wheat truck.  A battery was all the pickup needed.  I drove it over to the loaded wheat truck and gave the truck a jump start.  It worked!!  I left the pickup there and drove the loaded truck over to our house.  I pulled up alongside the new outside barn door.  I was about four feet away from the barn with the middle of the truck just opposite the door.  So I pulled down five bales of hay and used them to fill the gap.  That way I can just walk across the bales directly to the truck.  I had not planned on unloading the whole truck.

I ended up unloading the whole truck, 90 bales (approx 3.5 tons).  I started to get tired about half way through.  Actually, tired is an understatement.  I wanted to die.  This is the third day of hard manual labor and it felt like someone was hitting me across the upper back and shoulders with a 2x4, repeatedly.  I ended up stacking the bales four high!  The biggest problem is I need to clean out the rest of the space to make room for just this year's hay.  I actually just threw the last six bales inside the door and did not stack them.  Yes, I used my legs when lifting the bales onto the stack.  I never could have done it with arm power only.  So I made the call and have a teenager boy coming to help me on Wednesday.  We are going to clean out the rest of the barn and unload another 90 bales of hay.  If we have time the horse area will get finished.

Of course, the chicken butler failed again.  Sarah went out to get eggs and the chicken butler had not opened all day.  The chickens had no water and were not happy.  She only collected 3 eggs.  She also forced the chicken butler door open not helping its functioning at all.  I went out to trouble shoot it and couldn't get anything to work.  So I took two five gallon watering buckets and mounted them in the chickie enclosure so that if they get locked in water will be available.  While I was in said enclosure I happened to look over at my wire/rock barrier.  A small hole with a worn path had been created under the wire and next to a large rock.  I had to go grab two more large rocks, beat down the wire and pile two rocks over the area.  Now we have to go out every night and lock the chickens up and let them out in the morning.