Saturday, June 9, 2012

Barn floor continues

It is June and we continue to have April weather.

I keep sneaking out to the barn to get in some more floor time.  Since Annmarie's dad died last week I have been cleaning house nonstop.  I have almost all the tools out of the house and tomorrow I am going to remove the last of the wood from the breeze porch.  I took the compound miter saw off of the breeze porch last year and had not removed all the wood.  I had moved the wood from the upstairs bathroom to the breeze porch, does that count?
We bought furniture today with Annmarie's "window sill" money she had been making me save.  So those inside window sills are going to take a while longer.  I have even been reorganizing the attic to make more things fit up there.  At this rate I am going to have to finish part of the attic floor before I can empty out the last of the stuff in the old house (eventually my wood shop).  There is not a lot of free space in the attic left.  In the far future, I would like to build some enclosed cabinets in the attic.

I think it is landing on the CRP.

The floor of the barn is coming along nicely.  I am going to have enough new tongue and groove to complete the center section.  I only have 10 feet left.  In inches this is 120 inches, each 2x6 is only five inches wide due to the tongue and groove process.  So I need to lay down another 24 rows.  Each row has 1.5 boards meaning I need to dig another 36 boards out of the hay room before I can be done.  The floor is incredibly sturdy now.  The tongue and groove is really going together well and as I screw it down to the supports it just locks into place.  I have used most of the scraps I had left over from the right side to fix this floor.  Whenever I come across a large knot that may eventually fall out I take a short leftover section of flooring and screw it onto the bottom of my new floor.  I usually screw it into three separate boards so it is held in place.  That way if the knot falls out then the sheep's legs cannot fall through and get broken.  It looks weird from underneath the floor.

My help starts next week on Thursday.  I am looking forward to that.  Hopefully, it quits raining by then and I can get him to tear off the low roof off the old lamb shed.  In the picture above you can see the low side of the lamb shed on the right side of the picture.  That part of the shed is getting ripped down and reused on the barn.  We are doing the ultimate recycle project.

My mess is not moving itself. 

Yes there are two different kinds of wood on the floor.
I am going to reuse those long boards just past the unfinished floor for fencing in the sheep sorting yard.  They used to be on the floor.  The pen will be strong enough to hold an angry cow, just not big enough!  It is a great way to reuse them and not worry so much about the rotted and warped sections.  That will only leave me about 35 boards left over and I don't think it is enough to do the five foot section on the right hand side.  I think I am going to try and reuse the floor from the old granary for the floor under the mess and alongside this new floor, there should be enough.

One of the drawbacks to reusing old wood is it is very very tough.  As in "iron like".  I have broken over 20 driver tips already.  I think it is going to take me almost 40 tips just to do the floor.