Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chicken and cats not so friendly...

Well I found one of my chicken predators this morning.  I went out to get the eggs this morning (too busy yesterday afternoon) and found one of our outside cats snacking on one of my new chicken babies!!  She was in the chicken yard (the door has been open all the time), just snacking away on tender baby chicken breast (must prefer white meat).  So I ran around the coop counting my babies.  I only have 12 out of 24.  Ugh.  So the cats have been eating well.  It doesn't help that the chicken babies are the size of a large quail right now.  Once full grown, the cats leave them alone.  So Annmarie's idea of a separate run (suggested last year when I had this problem last time) is going to have to be implemented.  Of course not until the stairs are finished.  So I verified that the electric fence is working and locked the chickens into the chicken yard.  I am sure I missed a few, but they should show up later today.  Will have to keep the chickens locked up for a few days.  Also, going to have to get a recount on the babies and adults tonight after dark so I know where I am again.  It just never ends.  There is always something.  Now luckily the cats did not kill my daughter's favorite new chicken, a little banty brahma with feathers on her feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment