Sunday, April 25, 2010

Brand Update


A while back I posted that Steve wanted to register a brand. What he really wanted was something cool to put on stationery and return address stamps, and labels if we ever decide to use our own egg cartons. The design restrictions on brands did not suit his taste, and enough people finally looked at him oddly when he said, "But we're not going to brand anything," that he decided maybe we could just come up with something we liked. So, here is the first draft. The colors are not set, and I'm not particularly happy with that aspect yet, but I kind of like the interlocking nature of the letters. As always, though, I'd love to have comments and suggestions.

Now, in the continuing saga of hidden eggs and odd kitten delivery places, I noticed the door of the old house was left open after a certain daughter put some things in the freezer for me, so I went in to make sure there were no chickens or cats in there before I closed it up again. Bailey, the chocolate lab followed me in and started making her there's-a-baby-that-I-can't-get-to noises. You see, Bailey loves babies of any species. Kittens, lambs, chicks - it doesn't matter. She'll mother any of them. I thought maybe there was a chicken somewhere, cause those noises are only slightly different from the there's-a-bird-where-it-shouldn't-be noises. Then I heard the mewing. When I looked around the room, I didn't see anything. Then I heard it. The snow tires seemed to be mewing. These snow tires.

See anything? Neither did I. So, I moved closer and looked down into the stack and saw this:
Yes, that is a cat curled up inside the plastic wrapping on the stack of snow tires. If you look very very closely, you can see a very newborn kitten in there with her. At the time, they were suspended in a kind of hammock made by the bag around the top tire, but I was afraid they'd manage to work their way down through the stack and end up trapped. So, we loaded her and her kittens into a crate with an old towel and moved them out to the wood shed.

On the chicken front, while I was looking for the kittens, I noticed a few eggs over by one wall, kind of under some junk that Steve had tossed over there. We've had issues with the doors for a while, so I didn't think too much of it, other than to make a note to have Sarah toss them out for the cats and chickens. But, as I was turning to leave after relocating the cats, I noticed a nice little pile in the corner. When all was said and done there were 15 eggs stashed in the old house. Steve was rather incensed when I told him (he's at work this weekend). He may very well have to add more nest boxes to the coop. For now, we're keeping the old house shut up, and checking the woodshed every day. By the way, we're averaging 4-6 eggs out there each day. *grin*

1 comment:

  1. I like this very much! Sarah wants us to use the same color just make each letter a different shade. I also like that idea.

    ReplyDelete