Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lamb update

These two lambs are very very small, and the black one is pretty weak. I've given it two supplemental feedings, and after each one, it was a little stronger and was able to nurse from momma. She won't come near the lamb while I'm too close, but if I set the baby down and move away, she comes over at the first meep, so she's not a bad momma. I'd like to get her and the lambs in out of the cold, as that is the greatest danger to the babies at this point, but she is so dang wild that it's just not happening. Unless I'm willing to take on this lamb as a full bummer, about all I can do is fill the lamb's tummy with some warmth and get it up to nurse. With everything that is going on right now, a bummer is more than we can take on, so I just have to hope for the best. This is the hard part. These little ones are so cute and helpless, and I feel responsible. But, nature usually knows best, so I'm going to go to bed, say a prayer, and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully everyone will make it through the night and I can offer another supplemental feeding in the morning. On the upside, the little brown twin is up and moving around well and is very strong. I'm not worried about him at all.

All pronouns are generic. I haven't checked gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment